Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: Consider PSUD 2 and mikeyb's supply

DS wrote:

::Since music currents typically complete their required loop through the PS, I thought it would be interesting to see where the currents from an actual audio signal travel when they hit the PS and observed some interesting results as I changed the filter.::

I can remember twenty some years ago when the designer of the Timber Dac spent months and months modeling, measuring, and tweaking the power supply --- because, as he put it, the power supply is in the signal path.

which even back then I thought odd at best--- why would you want the power supply to be in the signal path is what I kept wondering.

As dave points out--- typically (as in most cases) yes the power supply is in the signal path ---- BUT NEED NOT BEE.

The other logical alternative is to use parallel feed--- where the power supply and the audio signal path have a much, much greater degree of isolation from one another. Compare the PSRR of a "typical" series supply vs what is possible in terms of isolating the audio signal from the power supply when using a parallel feed strategy.

Then look at the directness of the possible path of the audio signal to ground. Much shorter and sweeter than the "typical" series feed implementations.

Would be intersting to run some of the "same sweeps" where you had a properly deisgned parallel feed arrangement.

MSL

Builder of MagneQuest & Peerless transformers since 1989

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.