Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: Well said (nt)

I've stayed out of this argument for a long time because I believe it's pointless, divisive, and perhaps ultimately ruinous for this forum. Arguing with a prophet against his god and theology is senseless.

Jeff/Dennis supporters and defenders often charge that those who question their theories have never heard the resulting product.

I have and I didn't like them.

About four years ago - and this is an indication how long this has been dominating this forum - I attended an audio event in Vancouver, WA. Dennis was one of the vendors and I wanted to see and hear what all the fuss was about. I visited his room twice and spent about an hour each time. I have nothing to say about how they were designed or built other than that their appearance is quite ordinary. The sound isn't. He was playing a lot of country, which I like, but the very clear sound of Patsy Cline's tongue clicking off the roof of her mouth isn't something I want to hear more than once. Dennis has made it very clear that's the level of detail he designs and builds for.

Please note this is about sound preference for both Dennis and me - it's subjective, intensely personal, and also is the point that Jeff and Dennis distain and dismiss. My reaction may very well been to the digital source, a hard drive, Dennis used. I just don't like that sound, but even with an analogue source, it's highly unlikely I would have started saving toward the $15,000.

I don't think arguing with Jeff and Dennis to protect innocent newbies is necessary. We all had to learn, made mistakes, and had project failures. We learned and moved on. So will they. I think a dose of Jeff and Dennis benign neglect wouldn't be an all together bad thing, but on the other hand, they have created, ironically from egregious example, occasional chances for excellent learning opportunities by way of rebuttal.

The loss to the forum I really regret is the exodus of numerous former knowledgeable, informative, generous and literate posters, who I believe gave up in dismay.

Peace,

Doug

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.