Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Difference...

The $1,000,000 watch doesn't typically say it holds time better than a Wall Mart digital watch.

The $30,000 hand bag doesn't boast to protect you items better than a K-Mart vinyl bag.

OTOH, the $20,000 cable often makes scientific claims that are not plausible, testable, or repeatable in the real world.

And when it goes too far, the Feds do step in.

1) The Monster cable scam at Circuit City years ago where they had a rig comparing a 50 foot roll of 14ga or so Monster cable to a 50' roll of 24ga speaker wire. Yep, the Monster cable does sound fuller and more lively!

2) The more recent scam at Best Buy where they had two identical TVs, one supposedly "professionally calibrated" by their extended service plan and the other out just of the box.

Problem is somebody like me looked behind the display and found the calibrated TV was being fed HDTV and the un-calibrated TV was fed with the SDTV output of the satellite box. I don't know if it was legal interaction by the local DA or just public embarrassment but they did end up scrapping that demo.

Edits: 08/19/12 08/19/12

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Difference... - gusser 13:58:00 08/19/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.