Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: 12v Computer Power Supply?

Sorry to disappoint. We found circuit cards that were all 12v!

They're just becoming available. Also, S/S Hard Drives have come down a lot in price lately-- so that's helpful..

We're using 3 separate 12V. supplies-- one for the Mother Board, One for the Processor, and one for the USB card. We had to look to find all 12v. stuff. It's out there!

I got started on this at RMAF where I thought another demo room sounded better than ours. They were using an Apple computer-- the entire thing was run on a 12V. auto battery.

My setup is newer, and it is a P.C. which is what I wanted so I could use Media Center the way I wanted to. The kind guys at Berkeley Audio Design and Al at Goodwin's High End steered me to the right implementations. I got a lot of help from Jeff Fox at Command Performance Audio-Visual..

I built a power supply for these things only because there are NO good ones that I can buy-- which is what I prefer-- I'd rather BUY!. Anyhow, the new P.S. is a real beauty.

I am using BAD's Alpha-DAC2, and their USB link with this system.

Audio drive is direct from the Alpha-DAC2 straight into my amps.

I also bring along my trusty Pioneer Blu-Ray player-- all 33 pounds of it. This was built as the top of the "Elite" Series. I liked the way-strong transport in it.

At shows, we will run the SPDIF output into the Berkeley Alpha-DAC2.

This performance is close to being as good as the computer. On musicals such as "Celtic Thunder", the sound is very, very good.

I did this once before-- even had the Plasma Panel at Denver. No computer, and only Pioneer DVD players. Today, those are unlistenable.

I could show up with a Turntable one of these days, but although I have good tables, tonearms, cartridges and wiring, I find ALL Phono stages that can be bought-- really, really bad, and linestages even worse.

A guy could spend $150,000.00 on L.P. playback and still not get there.

Vinyl freaks! You need some PREAMPS!

I would have to build one. Until I do, the computer is King.

---Dennis---

Edits: 08/12/12 08/12/12 08/12/12

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.