Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: What I don't get...

This is a good post and a seemingly logical set of questions.

The problem is one of application-- the theory is OK-- the application requires a careful balance of real-life factors in order to get a whole that is superior overall-- in reproduced musical results.

One of those Real-Life factors is that a resistance in series with a power supply seriously blunts that power supply's dynamic response. (After all, it IS a resistor!).

Another obvious one is that the larger the power supply capacitors, the less power the supply can deliver into instantaneous, intermittent demand. It is obvious that the recharging capacitor is competing with the load for the available current. OBVIOUS result? Large capacitors equals current starvation in the load.

The most obvious to me is that an ideal power supply has NO resistance, NO capacitance, and NO Inductance.

When someone understands this, and builds as close to this ideal as possible, it should be obvious that it is the right thing to do.

This requirement ALSO demands the utmost in good wiring? This isn't extreme, it's a MINIMAL REQUIREMENT! When you have a system that can resolve the sonic differences, then ordinary wiring, used commonly by Industry-- is sadly lacking.

So-Called "boutique" wire builders are some of the smartest, best engineers that we have today. They are combining good materials with a good understanding of what the wire is being asked to do in audio.

One thing the best wire builders have done is give us large conductors.

For even the smallest, instantaneous musical signals, these wires make all the difference in the Low-End of a given system. NOT just how low in HZ. it goes-- you could prove that the HZ Low-End will be the same with a smaller wire-- if all you do is measure it and apply known wire conductivity tables.

Trouble is- the larger conductor is ALSO handling certain obscure Energy Peaks-- which NO ONE is measuring, but you can hear the results of. RESULT? The larger conductor is more efficient at conducting Low-End Energy PEAKS. What a surprise.

So, how does one get-- say-- a 10 gauge conductor to do well at H.F. Audio frequencies? Just ask Siltech or Audio Revelations, or Pranawire!
They get better "highs" than ANY wire. Do YOU understand how this is done-- that it is, and must be a balance of factors-- not just an Industry Wire Table?

Look, I have plenty of Belden wire also-- but only one product is any good! I have plenty of THAT one! I found ONE product that they make, which I used in my new 12V. D.C. computer power supply. It's Tin-Plated, double-shielded, twisted 2-conductor/double Teflon insulated 12 ga. Why the double-Teflon? It's designed for FIRE ALARMS!

People seeking a usable, cheap A.C. Power Cord like it. Why did Belden design it this way, since it is good wire (must be an accident!)? FIRE CODE demanded it-- the stuff is also colored RED.

Since we're not in the 50's anymore, maybe they could make their FIRST usable AUDIO WIRE!

Try an analogy-- Will the Porsche 911 run better with the tires that worked best for it-- in actual driver preferences-- or should one apply theory and include Bicycle Tires? After all-- they're theoretically better.

If you'd like to operate an OSHA Lawn Mower-- be my guest-- that's what all Vintage and most DIY amps are!

There's better to be had-- and you can buy or build it. All you have to do is apply common sense, and then build that way.

---Dennis---

Edits: 08/12/12 08/12/12

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.