Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

excellence, "near perfection" in the G2 power supply

rage,

The people who brought us the modern power supply, (that would be "the originator" Mr. Dennis Fraker, and initial followers such as myself, and contributors Henry Pasternak, John Hasquin, and John Swenson), pay close attention to ALL sections of a L/C multi-section B+ filter.

The above-mentioned individuals focus on the ENTIRE supply and filter, and how it performs dynamically at the POINT OF USE.

Each section is carefully designed to work with the OTHER sections in the filter, either as a two stage filter (L1/C1/L2/C2 - my favored to the finals) OR as a three stage filter (L1/C1/L2/C2/L3/C3).

Henry Pasternak has proven to us that a non L-critical filter has superior regulation to a L-Critical input filter, superior dynamic characteristics, (although he would use either, but has never heard what we discuss.)

In my above-posted G2 supply, the G2 point of use is obviously "at C3". Observe waveforms in the 18 mS window above. Both the C3 current AND voltage waveforms appear virtually "perfect" (sinusoidal and very clean). About 2-3 mVAC of ripple.

To consider current waveforms in "C1 ONLY" (of a multi-section filter), is like highlighting an explosive noise level in the combustion chamber of a Lamborghini's cylinder head at ignition, whereas we are really primarily concerned with the noise level after the vehicle's mufflers, AND....most importantly, .........how well the Lambo engine pulls !!

(Jeff's Question #1) Can someone beat that G2 supply...if NOT made with aspects of a "modern" power supply design?

(Jeff's Answer #1) Unlikely in a million years.

Never say never.

Jeff Medwin .... Cheers.

Edits: 08/11/12 08/11/12 08/11/12 08/11/12

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • excellence, "near perfection" in the G2 power supply - drlowmu 10:06:56 08/11/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.