Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: In Pentode, G2 is of prime importance

Hi Triode Kingdom :

Incorrect. Speaking from direct experience, I have owned and heard MANY highly regarded high quality tube amps since the 1970s with actively regulated G2 supplies. Results always left me wanting for more.

There is NO substitute for a (1) totally separate (2) low DCR supply to G2, assuming one seeks maximum performance. It brings a certain music presentation to the table, (bold, AUTHORITATIVE, vivid, detailed and nuanced) that you can NOT obtain ANY other way. Its simply the very best way to execute G2.

It is similar conceptually to building an amp with totally separate supplies for each stage, except G2 of the Pentode Finals is much more sensitive than that.

You have simply under-estimated the sensitivity (and importance) of G2 Triode Kingdom, as MOST ordinary E.E.s do.

Here are the three ways to do G2, each successively better sounding :

(1) Most E.E.s will use a cheap-o resistive voltage divider to separate G2., mediocre.

(2) Some E.E.s will add a active regulator, (unfortunately, with its own thumbprint, because G2 is sensitive).

(3) Walter Key in the 1970's, (and I), will advocate a totally separate passive G2 supply,..... cleanest sounding and simple.

Now you all have been made aware.

This is why the Paoli 60M, with a separate G2 supply, has had a following over many years.

Imagine how this new build will perform for "The Bob" - with really good sets of power supplies ( B+, G2, negative bias) supporting his circuit !! If you want an amp to perform, you need to give it really good supplies, or, you are just playing with yourself.

In 2012, we have progressed from the 1970's, and have learned how to design SUPERB passive supplies. It is PSUDED above, for anyone interested. A cheap gas tube G2 voltage regulator off an existing supply that you propose.... will never be the equal.

If it didn't make a significant difference, I would not go to the trouble to build it as I show you all.

But it DOES make a difference, and it is very audible. "The Bob" will have some real fun, and benefit tremendously.

Cheers,

Jeff Medwin

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.