Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: I agree

Low efficiency and in particular low impedance speakers are a problem for any amplifier, not just an OTL. The fact of the matter is that even a transistor amp that easily doubles power from 8 to 4 ohms will not sound its best on a 4 ohm load, for the distortion will increase with the 4 ohm speaker, and it will be both audible and measurable.

Four ohms does help if you are trying to get raw sound pressure, but if you are trying to get the most realistic sound it represents a compromise at best.

Paul Speltz, who markets a product known as the ZERO has an interesting letter from Steve McCormick, stating that while his amps drive 4 ohms easily, they sound much better driving the 4 ohm speaker trough the ZERO, meaning that the amp is actually loaded at 16 ohms. In speaking with other designers of transistor gear that I know from being at CES and the like, they all concur, to paraphrase: "just because it can drive 4 ohms or less does not mean its sounding its best."

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.