Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Current needs...

Hi Thomas,

Thinking about a SE amp using a transmitting triode instead of the usual 300b. Choices - 211 and 845 are expensive, 813 is big and greedy, so looking for some cute options a bit off the beaten track.

Looks like the 814 is interesting and good value. There's also the 828 but that's rare and pricey - virtually the same but just a bit more poke. Radio hams still have some 814s in odd boxes. It's never been popular. Is there something I should know about using this tube? Looks good in triode.

So current would be about 60mA for each 814. Add 20mA for a driver and 5mA for an input tube and total would come in at under 200mA for a stereo amp. I don't see it needs over 650v HT for a typical domestic room with fairly sensitive speakers.

Once an amp was built it would be possible to play around with other transmitting tubes. I use a modular chassis anyway, so can swap output top plates without disturbing the rest of the amp.

Andy

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Current needs... - andy evans 03:08:56 06/30/12 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.