Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: 5R4GY - interesting

Yep have tried them all, also 5R4WGB & 5R4GYS... no problems whatsoever.

Interestingly there is one variant I tried which does very marginally arc over at switch on, only when my ac mains voltage is elevated more than ~10% above nominal (it does fluctuate quite randomly and is typical of most mains utility supplies anywhere I've lived !).

This 5R4 variant is the one which is apparently claimed to be the most rugged of all however, the potato masher styled BENDIX super beefy military red labelled 5R4WGB with the VERY thick glass and 4 thick metal rod supports internally.

The less weighty potato masher Raytheon 5R4WGB has absolutely no issues with the 47uF input (600V Mundorf TubeCap) in this amp.

You might however also consider the 5U4GB which can readily cope with significantly larger input caps again and is specced for a nominal 40uf.

If heater current is an issue then the GEC U52, GEC's version of 5U4 only draws 2.25A of filamanet current instead of 3A rating of typical 5U4's

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: 5R4GY - interesting - coolhand 17:24:50 06/28/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.