Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: Do you need PSE ????

I am a big fan of analogies for first order approximations. I have a friend Mike in DC who is a bit of a night owl. We show up at mikes place at 1AM and inevitably lose a couple of hours in his basement talking. On the occasional cigarette break outside he told this story.

We were sitting on his front porch at around 2am and we could clearly hear two things. The 60hz buzz of the streetlight and some neighbors clearly talking on a back porch 3 houses up. I jokingly said I wish the light was a bit louder to drown out the neighbors and Mike insisted just the opposite. He went on to tell the story of how every weekend evening in the summer the same thing happens. The people sit out back and talk and during the daylight hours it is just a murmur. However as dusk sets in and the second the streetlight clicks on, the conversation immediately becomes intelligible.

I didn't get the chance to actually verify it with my own ears and I wasn't about to grab a rock and see. I do have a number of others who tell of anecdotal tales like this and they often follow a pattern similar to preturbulence reducing turbulence.

The other possible explanation is the people on the back porch were drinking and there is an interesting pattern of people talking louder as they drink more.

dave

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Do you need PSE ???? - dave slagle 19:20:30 05/28/12 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.