Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: ... "bunk" ... so you think ???

Your argument doesn't make any sense since ground and symmetry have everything to do with hum cancellation but little to do with how the tube biases up.

When you consider AC heating you need to bring the aspect of time into the mix to consider the possible voltage gradients. assuming you start a sine at 0, in 4ms you have a voltage gradient of +3.5V. At 8ms the filament is at the same potential from end to end. 12ms puts you at -3.5V and 16ms (ok (1/60ms) puts you back to the beginning to repeat. This means a 2A3 gives a 7V change in bias over time which is worse than a DC heated 6A3.

Furthermore, the bias in a DC heated tube is fixed. In an AC heated tube it is a moving target. Take a 1Khz signal and look at how the bias shifts in time. With a DC heated tube every trace of the sine will see the same stable bias. With AC, the single 1Khz waves at about 4ms and 12ms will see an overall shift in bias of 7V which some actually call IM distortion.

By no means am I saying that DC is better and in fact I like AC whenever I can get away with it. I am just stating my view that the concept of the "voltage gradient" or "bias shift" on a DC heated tube is a silly one to me since with AC it is actually worse.

dave

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.