Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Do you need PSE ????

Hello Andy,

First of all, what is your speaker load? By that, I am asking how efficient is it, and what range will the amps be used for..full range or ??.

Have you ever actually MEASURED in your listening room how much power your speakers need when you play them loud?? That is your starting point - to determine power needed Andy.

IF your speakers are efficient, 98 dB / 1 Watt / one meter, you might be better off with a simple SE amp. This avoids paralleling's "choir" effect.

Forget 6B4Gs, they require DC on the filaments, which asymmetrically biases the filament, and this simply is inferior sounding compared to AC operation of a 2.5 VAC (2A3) filament.

Also, biplates, be they a 6B4G or a 2A3, generally will not equal a JJ 2A3-40 in performance, due to (1) the later's monoplate construction, aspects of the JJ's design such as (2) large cathode surface area, (3) symmetrical filament spacing, etc.

IMHO, its hard to beat the cost-versus-effectiveness of the new JJ 2A3-40.

Better to (1) FIRST determine your power needs by direct measurement and (2) use the best possible, simplest design choice, rather than spend time and money on needlessly compromised implementations. Have fun.

Jeff Medwin

Edits: 05/26/12 05/26/12 05/26/12

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.