Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

If there is one detail I learned...........

DIY is a route to great sonics & is cost effective. However, the source must be of best quality too. Vinyl is a no brainer for the most part, but CD players & FM tuners are an issue.

I find if a device has an op-amp in it, substandard performance will result. I never got around this issue with replacement op-amps either.

After owning many tuners I settled on a Scott L112B. Outperforms any op-amp based tuner I owned for excellent audio performance with a natural sound. All tuners I owned were upgraded with a superior power supply and high quality coupling capacitors. Even though the Scott tuner is solid state, it has a good multiplexer and outperforms tube type tuners I owned in the past in stereo mode. I also am modifying a Scott 312C with a tube output section.

As for my modded Magnavox CDB 582 CD player with a TDA1541A chip, it falls short compared to vinyl playback.

Have you found the same op-amp issue as I?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Topic - If there is one detail I learned........... - Neff 06:34:11 05/19/12 (9)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.