Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: DIY PAS 3X clone

I had a few of them and they are OK sounding as compared to others out there. If memory serves me Joe Curcio from Curcio Audio redid the RIAA section of the phono circuit and many seem to think it is a very large improvement over the original. Tubes4hifi.com also has a nice kit version of that preamp.

But for my money and ears I would go to octals and the one that comes to mind is the JE Labs phono and line stage(all in one if you like) but you have to do the layout for the chassis and do point to point wiring. It is very simple as there are no real amount of parts involved. I don't know of anyone having a board for the octal preamp.

Another that comes to mind is the Hagerman which is highly regarded. It can be built with octals. John Broskie from Tubecad has a real nice preamp. It is the Aikido which got some real good responses. Bottlehead as another suggested but the chassis is a bit too simple for my tastes.

You do have choices that in my opinion, is much more appealing sonically than a Pas 3X.

As for chassis? There is a guy on Ebay that has some real nice ones for very little $$$$$$$$$$$. Just do a search on Ebay or for that matter Google for electronics chassis. There is plenty to choose from. Some even come lettered to your liking.

Paul

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: DIY PAS 3X clone - xaudiomanx 05:39:15 05/17/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.