Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: in your own words...

Raymond, I understand your criticism, but I slightly resent your calling me "needy," "too clever by half," and a "parody of myself." I also think you're fooling yourself if you expect Jeff to take your advice, regardless of how good it is. You're not the first person to make these suggestions to him.

WRT my latest "stunt," this was something I threw together from the germ of an idea hatched during my commute to work, and typed in in bursts while I waited for software to compile at work. I did not labor day and night to produce this piece. I knew full well that some people would get the joke immediately, while others would be taken in. It's a techie joke and judging by the response, the people I expected to get it understood and appreciated it.

There are, IMHO, things to learn from satire.

Regarding some of the other people who have weighed in here, I almost always act as a free agent, and you shouldn't assume I'm part of some "gang" with an agenda to drive Jeff and others off this board. Contrary to what Death suggests, I would be perfectly delighted if my postings here generated publicity for Dennis's business. I believe in putting ideas out in public where they can be discussed.

Like Jeff, I am a passionate person. What I'm passionate about is getting people to question authority and to dig into facts when forming opinions. The reason I go on so long in my postings (aside from the fact that I'm just a wordy person) is that I don't want people just to accept what I say on the basis of authority. I want to give them some facts to work with and show that there is a way to apply these facts to form well reasoned conclusions.

I want people to judge the substance of what I write, so I don't go out of my way to be friendly. Yes, it's a flaw. I create a barrier to entry because the people I want to reach should be motivated enough to see beyond the popularity contest aspects of the conversation.

I get personal email from people who ask me smart technical questions and who thank me for my contribution. Talking with these people is very rewarding.

Unlike Jeff, I do not prescribe a specific formula for success (except to use your brain thoughtfully) and I don't criticize other people's design sight unseen (ears unheard). I judge people on the quality of their ideas. I do not believe amplifier building is a competitive sport. I don't believe in "shoot outs" or other forms of audiophile chest beating.

I like my hi-fi, and am pleasantly surprised when I make changes that increase my enjoyment of it. I do not seek out nor obsess over its limitations.

Reading and posting here is just a recreation. I write articles because it's an enjoyable challenge to organize my thoughts and put them in writing. My advice to you is not to read too much into that.

-Henry

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.