Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: Are you stating

The quote about the bible is from a bumper sticker I saw a few years ago. To me, it epitomizes the sad attitude of people who prefer to take their beliefs from authority figures instead of suffering the inconvenience of thinking for themselves.

Do I think you're deaf? Definitely not. Do I think your perceptions can be fooled, or influenced by expectations? Absolutely. If you think your hearing is an objective measure of the sound that hits your ears, you're already lost the argument. It's a total non-starter.

You insist on ignoring the key distinction in my argument. I believe you 100% that you honestly hear these differences. More anecdotes won't change that. I'm just interested in something else, which is whether or not there is an actual, physical mechanism at work (in the wire) that accounts for what you hear. This is a totally different question.

You've proposed a mechanism and presented it as fact. Speaking as an engineer, I'm telling you your proposal sounds like bollocks to me. You don't seem like an engineer to me -- why bother dressing up your listening experiences with this technical conjecture? The failed attempt to attribute the subjective experience to an objective cause just diminishes your credibility.

By the way, the reason hospital grade power cords are designed for low leakage is that small leakage currents can mess up measurements or even kill a patient. The spec doesn't mean the cords leak less than standard parts, but it does guarantee that they will meet the safety standards. It's just the same as with mil-spec tubes. They're not necessarily better performers than commercial parts, but they are guaranteed to perform.

By the way, the reason hospital grade power plugs are clear is so that you can visually inspect to make sure the ground wire is intact. Some audiophile outfits sell hospital grade outlets and cords as through they will improve sound. It's really pretty useless unless you plan to electrically attach the interconnects to your body and you want to make absolutely sure you won't be killed by a ground fault.

This ultimatum you have offered me -- to accept your premise or call you deaf -- is a total straw man. There is some truth out there on this question. We don't know what it is yet. Whether the effect is real or imagined, the truth is probably more subtle than your black and white ultimatum implies.

-Henry

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.