Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: Tell me, Deathtube

I have demonstrated by analysis, simulation, and direct measurement that the first stage of a "flywheel" filter has a special property that significantly improves the DC regulation of the supply while avoiding many of the problems of both traditional cap- and choke-input filters.

So much for the narrow-minded EEs who keep saying the damned thing can't possibly work.

-Henry

And I took it a bit farther and discovered that the exact same results can be had by either the "flywheel" small choke in series with the filter input OR the popular small capacitor in parallel with the filter input.

i.e. either small value series L input or small value parallel C input will, if proper values are chosen, accomplish the EXACT SAME RESULT of higher output voltage vs a critical-L input filter and lower filter impedance compared with a more conventional C input filter.

The principle is very simple. The filter input stage is tuned to a resonant frequency of either 2X or 3X the ripple frequency (for 60 Hz mains that works out to 240 Hz or 360 Hz. When this is done properly, the input stage of the filter stores energy during the period the rectifier is supplying current (conduction phase) and releases it during the time between rectifier current pulses. The result is GREATER RECTIFIER CONDUCTION ANGLE and lower impedance vs. a C-input filter.

it's really that simple. And it works. And it's a perfectly fine way of building a power supply filter.

Edits: 03/24/12

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Tell me, Deathtube - Michael Koster 07:16:42 03/24/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.