Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: Sorry,...

As I understand it, here is my take :

Dennis told me he used to just modify amps, McIntosh 60s, MI-200s, and he had a pretty good reputation then with AudioMart people.

Some person gave Dennis $40,000 to develop a SE amp, and over two years, he came up with the Serious Stereo 2A3, his first-ever total amp design and build. He made four monoblocks, which I can see have hardly changed at all since then.

Film caps would go out of production, and wiring choices got better (Siltech), but Dennis thoughtfully engineered it from the start, optimized the design, so he has only made minor changes over the years.

The basis for the LSES supply came about as he and Dr. Charles Halijak, E.E. PhD. did amplifier mods. These two audiophiles used to get winders to copy the Citation 2 choke, and noticing that smaller chokes worked better, Dennis simply greatly refined the concept.

He is an unusual bird. Always honest. It is a fact he has spent several fortunes owning Hi Fi equipment. Never married, he has owned two good movie theatres, and a movie theatre service company. Besides being trained as a technician (electronics) in the Coast Guard, and working in mines, Dennis worked for Montana Power and many in-the-field / head electrical engineer positions, plus oil refineries with his Dad. Hey, that was Montana, go where the work is.

Jeff

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Sorry,... - drlowmu 22:21:30 03/20/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.