Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Slightly inebriated musings

I have lurked a lot and occasionally contributed over about 6-8 years
I usually stay out of flame wars but have had a couple of beers ......
I listen mostly to SET but have a first watt amp which I love .
I build a few SET's but only because my understanding of engineering does not extend to anything more complex.

I have heard beautiful SET and horn systems . I have heard wonderful solid state and low eff systems . I have been transfixed by push pull tubes......

My favourites night listening to a stereo ever, was with a very low brow solid state system and mini monitor speakers , the host presented amazing wines including a 1957 chateau Marguax and I was with good friends who were musicians and who could dissect the music for me .
There is something wrong with you, if you can only enjoy listening to music on ultra-fi.

If in no other way Henry has been smart enough to recognise this

I have two points:

There is no one path to good sound - above a certain level it is simply a matter of taste - we all have different musical priorities and some amps and speakers will align with those priorities and many won't .

Over the years lurking around the asylum there had been several "gurus" who have found the "only" secret to good sound ....I call bullshit on anyone who claims to have found the one true way to build an amp or any one part of an amp . Its like saying there is only one possible recipe for cooking a good meal .

Flame away

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.