Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Only thing wrong with certain DHT's

Some are "light weights", meaning their filaments are thin and incapable of decent microphonics, such as using 01A as an input to the next driver.

Less microphonic but not as transparent sounding to me is the 26 with its thicker and more stable filaments (that also requires more current). But, that 26 darkishness is complementary to the 10 slightly bright driver, but the gain is getting excessive for the 26 microphonics with that. This then sets the application for the amp to be for lower sensitivity speakers, a limitation. That is, unless a big effort is made to shield the 26 from vibrations. Or another useful thing might be to IT couple with some step-down to set proper gain overall, placed between 10 and 300B.

Going DHT is demanding over modern IDHT's, and much more costly, bulky, and heavy. But it usually is the most transparent. However, I have some idea that it may not always be since you go from 2 to 3 stages.

But I wish I could hear that 26->10->300B amp. It sounds promising.

-Kurt

Edits: 11/17/10

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Only thing wrong with certain DHT's - kurt s 16:38:41 11/17/10 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.