Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: Nice catch

The comment about scope transformers is they seem to be low voltage high current and suitable for doubler service.

Parallel windings was for the sake of comparing the doubler to cap input, apples to apples (analogy only, I'm not talking about fruit here ;-)

Agreed that choke input has lower peak charging current by a huge factor.

Here's another thing to think about. The DCR of the power transformer is multiplied by the reciprocal of the conduction angle (roughly) for it's contribution in the total Zout of the power supply. So choke input supplies have a small multiplier (like 1.4?) but the above example C-input presents ~7.5X the power tranny DCR at it's output terminals and the doubler presents ~15X it's power tranny DCR at it's output. So even though the doubler starts with a low DCR coil, the net Zo contribution is the same as an equivalent amount of iron and wire in a bridge configuration delivering the same output.

With a critical inductance choke input one should be able to get away with a higher DCR power transformer, and get equivalent regulation at the output.

The problem I have with critical-L supplies is they are difficult to tune for nice well damped but quick response as in the above examples. Not impossible but difficult. Also without a swinging choke it's difficult to accomodate class AB.

Cheers,

Michael

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.