Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Nice catch

But when solid state rectification was the new in thing, many high power tube amps just used two large electrolytics from the doubler with no more following filter caps.

Of course there are two kinds of doublers as I think you know: full wave and half wave. Full wave doublers keeps the DC rectified voltage fed with each phase. This is not too far off from full wave center-tapped rectification.

The example I recall was the Music Reference RM-9 that uses a full wave doubler and no more succeeding filter components for the final output tubes. I believe they were 1000 uF 300V caps or thereabouts stacked on top of each other.

I have a versatile "1/3 wave" tripler in my DIY amp with the last stack of caps being 3 1000 uF 250V. The half wave doubler will need the last cap capable of the total end voltage unlike the full wave doubler needing no extra voltage. The tripler will need 200V, 350V, and finally 500V caps to reach a 500V final output voltage. The N-tupler voltage supply as used in electrostatic speakers and headphones need many stages where each succeeding stage of multiplication has to increase its needed voltage rating. The end capacitor may only be 1nF at 3000V as power is not taken from this unloaded supply.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.