Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: Choke-input power supplies, Part 1

Henry, thanks for the post. In the conclusion you said, "To summarize, we can say overall, from the point of view of efficiency, noise generation, and regulation, the choke-input filter provides a superior interface to the rectifiers, and this may be a factor in the subjective perception that choke-input filters give better sonic performance."

I guess my question would be, where is the cutoff between cap input and choke input? Yes, you gave a common formula, but is that "right"? What if instead of Vdc/I(ma) it was (Vdc-1)/I(ma)? Small difference, right? Material difference? Not likely. So, what about (Vdc-10)/I(ma)? The point is, where do we lose the benefits you're suggesting we gain (I like the sonic benefits of choke input by the way). But does this become more a matter of degree rather than kind? I think ultimately your argument may be that there is an input choke that is no longer sufficent to meet the qualifications of your output beneifts. Is that 600mh by any chance? I'm NOT trying to be antagonistic, just wondering where right becomes wrong, or good becomes bad, etc. Maybe it is all in the ears of the beholder. I remember reading something not long ago that "Audio Note" prefers cap input. Not sure if that was just power amps, because I think their kit preamps use choke input. Why one vs. the other? Next thing I know someone will say there is not Santa Clause too! The insanity of it all!

Regards,
steve

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.