Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: BDT Preamp Schematics

Being intrigued by the regulator circuit John came up with I built one up and proceeded to test, measure, and blow it up many times in the interest of learning more about the circuit.

Performance is very good the way John has it set up but there are improvements that can be made both for performance and reliability.

I changed a couple of capacitor values, one for improved stability, the other for better performance. I also added some protection circuitry and a current limit circuit.

I'm planning on building several of these into a multiple output bench supply to replace my old Tektronix Engineering power supply. The Tek supply works pretty well but is noisy, both electrically and acoustically. It also has a tendency to blow up at inopportune times as it does not have good current limiting, instead, relying on 2 watt CC resistors on the SS rectifier diodes. It let loose again today during testing of the Swenson regulator. Had to open all the windows to get that wonderful burnt CC smell out of the house. Maggie was not very impressed with the smell but enjoyed the show... It was interesting to see the meters on the power supply back lit by orange flame.

I saw John's preamp at VSAC but never found John amongst the crowds.

Anyway, take a look at me website for the info.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.