Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

the Shuguang EL156 is tough!

I've been playing around with a test rigged Chinese EL156 used in a fixed bias SE UL amplifier -

Placed on a aluminum plate from a preamp project that never took off, I have an input tube cap coupled to an EL156 with a beefy 1627SEA Hammond OT. I'm using two outboard tube regulators to supply the B+, filament, and bias voltage. The Shuguang EL156 uses an octal socket instead of the Telefunken 10-pinner - and the best part is they are dirt cheap for a 50W pentode.

Juggling the negative bias and B+ knobs is a little tricky if you aren't paying attention and in my haste I've far exceeded the maximum ratings on a few occasions - once pumping 170mA/400V (68Ws total). Never got a red plate or glowing grid! Whoops - glad these tubes aren't original Tele's!

On the other hand an (old, used and abused like me) SED 6550 from the junkbox was used for initial powerup testing - I managed to kill it real quick dissipating 'only' ~35Ws.

Once I find an input tube combo I like (suggestions gladly accepted), I think I'll be making a pair of monoblocks with an onboard power supply and adjustable bias to roll in different output tubes. Can't comment on the sonics yet since this is a mono amp so far - running into a freebie Radio Shack Minimus 7 speaker. Will eventually listen to some mono material on the 'big' system.

It should be noted, like the EL38 the EL156 requires a lower negative bias voltage than the KT88/6550. These are not direct plug-ins for the KT88 unless the power transformer can handle the extra .3A of filament current per tube and your bias supply can dip low enough.

Edits: 01/22/08 01/22/08

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Topic - the Shuguang EL156 is tough! - kstagger 08:02:51 01/22/08 (5)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.