Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Nice Posts !

Hey thanks guys.
Still kicking tires. For the last couple of years I've been listening to a 6BX7 driving 6336 Parafeed. I love the sound and might be happy staying with it but the amps are huge (four channels for biamp) and hanging out all over the place and need a more contained rebuild if I want to make them keepers that I feel OK letting my friends near. Before investing the time and energy I'd like to give a linear DHT with about the same power output a try. My system setup is pretty well matched gainwise and to maintain that, it works out that with a PX25 as output, the driver mu would still be best at something around 10. For that, it would probably be easiest to use the 6BX7 again but you know how it is, new horizons beckon and all that, so a DHT driver IS tempting. . .
This is where I start to wonder though because with a biamped system the supply considerations are doubled.

For a single stereo amp my leanings would be to something like your LCL fils Fatbottle, but eight DHT fils done that way would make amps I'd need a fork lift to get on and off the bench. I know there's got to be a good way of doing it, it's just taking a while to arrive at compromises I like the look of.
I've been searching around to see if anyone has tried using just a single choke as the L in an LR filter - the fil providing the R value - but haven't found anything more than a single hint and no clear indication of the degree of success obtainable. I'll give it a try on the breadboard.
Andy, thanks for your mention of the 12A. I ran across that tube a few years ago but never tried it. It's because of you that I got around to building a circuit with the 2C22 - which I really liked - so I'll probably give the 12A a go in the new amp - with or without DC fils.

Anyhow, no hard data here, I really just signed on to say thanks for your replies.
If either of you happen to run across any interesting schemos or pages on DC fils would you please post a link?
Thanks, I'll post again with results once something gets built.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Nice Posts ! - Ian L 23:47:36 03/10/07 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.