Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Not quite what I remember

IIRC the important thing was the relationship between the choke and the following cap (which is load dependent). The DCR of the transformer wasn't the biggie.

The results of the simulations were interesting. They allowed the first cap to be charged to more than the normal max of 1.4 times the secondary rms voltage. Some wild voltages in the choke troubled me but Henry felt they were a limitation of Duncan's simulation. I got sidetracked by speakers and dropped the matter. I would love to hear if Henry is building his amp.

Many of the things in Jeff's post are common practice. It is just a matter of degrees. Extra current in a PT is always desired and we do use caps that are small for the task at hand (because we want to avoid electrolytic capacitors). We perceive the results as a "faster" amp with "tighter" bass (my best attempt at audiospeak). I might beg to differ on rectifiers but I did just admit to liking the 5u4. And CCS, IT, and choke loading is in favor which reflects the "high dcr load" part.

So perhaps it is the low henry first choke that is deemed too radical around here? Small value line reactors are common place solutions in industrial circuits. Then you have those who report good results with having a choke (instead of a cap) as the last filter element (should we be returning at power supply caps?). Maybe the impedance of the power supply isn't the ticket?

Russ
P.S. Call me devil's advocate rather than "converted".

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.