Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

decent measuring mic

Amen brother! I have decided my ears may be fine for building amps but when it comes to speakers I got crap for ears:) Or more to the point, I lack the experience to know what a certain problem sounds like.

My speakers are on a holding pattern. I have the active crossover on loan to a friend who is also working on speakers (joint effort with 3 guys). Right now I am going back and forth on active or passive line level. The passive appeals to me but the load is punishing for any normal tube preamp. I think I may go rent a good active and see if I can tolerate all those nasty op amps:) In the end I am thinking the ability to quickly change things, while listening, might outweigh the more pristine passive line level approach. Once I know for sure what I want I can always go the passive route.

All I can say is speakers are a lot harder than amps to get right. So many disciplines come into play and I have so much to learn. Don't help that I don't know filter theroy nor am I up on op amps.

Russ

P.S. I saw your post regarding CD boost network. My gut feeling was you needed the padding resistor to be much larger. I use 27 ohms bypassed with a 2uF cap. But I don't know your horn.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.