Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

More to add

"Interestingly, when I talked to Siegfried at CES about it, he was certain that component identity changes would make little or no difference in the sound of the Orion. These things hint at the effect the complex op-amp based active crossover has on sonic resolution and portrayal and Siegfried's perspective on design."

I once e-mailed Siegfried about me possibly redesigning his Audio Artistry's active crossovers using tube circuits instead. He responded that he had no understanding for the need to do that, that is, to use tubes at all. I then began to learn where he stood on things about audio. Everything to him was about the general speaker design - the mechanical aspects, the basic crossover networks for max level frequency response, radiation patterns, distortion from drivers, and the theories on sound waves generated by the speakers and rooms. It was a given that anything else wouldn't matter much at all. We disagreed on that issue, but he's a nice man.

Now contrast Siegfried to say, Charles Hansen, of Ayre Acoustics and formerly of Avalon Acoustics (source components, amps, and formerly speakers). And Charles uses those new-fangled transistor thingies in his products, but you couldn't find a more different approach to design and belief system. People sure hear things differently, as you say. I think people take on things they find more important to them, sonically, since it's never like live. That we do agree on.

Kurt

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • More to add - kurt s 15:27:25 01/24/07 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.