Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Nagging question about op amps in active crossovers

Sigfried Linkwitz' Orions get rave reviews. The speaker drivers are individually amp'ed and each amp is fed from an active crossover. The critical midband and highs get 3 or more op amps plus a bunch of "just okay" capacitors, bunches of caps and resistors and op amps in the signal path, then goes on to a ho-hum SS amplifier from a HT multichannel amp. And the source of choice for Sigfried - an ordinary CD player.

When I have used such components in my system I have a flat lifeless and dimensionless sound, especially depthless imaging. Yet everyone that listens to Orions say it is not that.

The only way I can check them out myself is to pay $400 for an audition (and weekend stay) at his vacation home.

Is there anyone who can offer what is really going on with this system and why this set of electronics yields such supposedly terrific results? I can't figure it out. Is the speaker's "radical design" overcoming the electronics and source limitations in a big way?

What got me started was the question about the Plutos in the thread below.

Kurt

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Topic - Nagging question about op amps in active crossovers - kurt s 10:07:20 01/24/07 (43)

You can not post to an archived thread.