Home Tape Trail

Reel to reel, cassette and other analogue tape formats.

Hot diggity dam!!

Well, the Nak 600 arrived today. After supper I unpacked it and did a quick check of the functions and cleaned it up a tad; heads, pinch roller, etc. Hooked it up to my system and grabbed the closest pre-recorded cassette and popped it in. Very unimpressive, no fidelity to speak of, very muddy sounding. Wait, says I, this can not be. Have not the troops on "tape trail" promised wondrous sound? Grabbed another cassette, a tad better but still no goose bumps. Pillaged through the pile and found a Windham Hill Winter's Solstice II and put it in. Whoa Momma!! Holy %#*&! And various other expletives.
Most impressive indeed. Beautiful sound at last. Not quite cd quality but pretty darn close.
I can see it is really going to be hit and miss with the quality of the pre-recorded tapes though. Any hints on which ones to watch for would be appreciated.
Guess I will have to order the manual and service manual now, so I can put it in top form. I noticed already that the right channel seems to consistently read higher on the meter on playback. No doubt there is an adjustment for that.
Ok, I'm hooked. So the next question is, is there any point in going up a notch or two if all I am mostly going to do is play pre-recorded tapes? Is there any one Nak that is better at that than any of the others?
Well now I can have something to look for at the thrifts besides LP's. Thanks for all the help folks, I really appreciate it.
Vince

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Topic - Hot diggity dam!! - Vinnie 15:31:27 11/14/06 (14)

You can not post to an archived thread.