Home Tape Trail

Reel to reel, cassette and other analogue tape formats.

RE: recording only one side in 1/4 track config

The 1/4 track config whether you are recording forward or backwards puts one of the stereo tracks at the edge of the tape. The edge is where the tape will be damaged first generally due to fast winding past fixed non rotary or unclean guides. Multi trackers on 2 inch tape always relegate the outside edge tracks for bass because they know that high frequencies if recorded on the edge will drop out first. If you play a 2 track 1/4 track tape on a machine with a 1/2 track head one channel will be lower in volume by several db. Also if the 1/4 track heads are not perfectly aligned then you can get crosstalk from the adjacent tracks if recorded in both directions. If you are recording something precious then I wouldn't record in both directions. Inside the head there is shielding material usually mu-metal between the track pole pieces but we're talking about 60 db of shielding and that's a tall order.
"...the fool doth think he is wise but the wise man knows himself to be nothing but a fool." Will Shakespeare

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: recording only one side in 1/4 track config - mobiasloop 16:32:42 03/19/16 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.