Home Tape Trail

Reel to reel, cassette and other analogue tape formats.

RE: first attempt....

Two-part epoxy was used to repair the crack. After 20 hours drying time, I decided it had cured enough to stand up to the next step; creating a solder bridge over the broken circuit. It all seems to have worked.

With the circuit board re-attached, and all plugs re-inserted, it is time to test and see if anybody is at home.

Next step was to try it out. Wouldn't it be nice if the fix was as simple as this?! So I put the deck back on its little table, plugged the power cord in, plugged the balanced IC into the back of the Otari and the Integrated amp.

I pulled out the commercial tape, Blood Sweat & Tears, Child Is Father To The Man. Threaded and pushed play.

It seems to be functioning as before, except the tape counter doesn't light up. Otherwise, function and sound are there.

Additionally, it needs a pair of light bulbs on the left VU meter. That is as before.

But now I am reacquainted with the sound of the Otari output electronics. Not quite full sounding. Kinda' cheap. While I've got the covers off, I should likely do a bypass from playback head to an external tape pre-amp. But that will be the subject of another post on another day.

For now I need to source the problem with the tape counter malfunction. It had worked before.

-Steve

Edits: 10/03/15 10/03/15

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.