Home Tape Trail

Reel to reel, cassette and other analogue tape formats.

RE: Mics For Tape Recorder

It would help greatly if you'd include the brand and model of the deck.

Also, the 1/4" jacks would indicate high impedance mics, although that's not certain. If the jacks are tip-ring-sleeve (TRS), they are sure to accommodate low impedance mics.

At this moment, I'd suggest an inexpensive mic preamp-in-a-box such as Presonus. This will give you XLR low impedance inputs, and open up your mic options, since the vast majority of good mics are low impedance. You would connect this to the Line inputs rather than the mic inputs.

AKG, Audio-Technica, BeyerDynamic and Shure all make microphones in the $100 range which are quite nice for the money.

Sure, he's only 12 now, but, trust me, it's better to buy good stuff than cheap stuff - it lasts longer in the "upgrade rotation". My first tape recorder was a Roberts (Akai) 1719. Quarter track, 3-3/4 and 7-1/2 ips. Then, I got a Concord something or other with auto reverse. Then, I got a Tandberg half track. Then, I got a Revox half track 7-1/2 and 15 ips. But by the time I bought the Revox for $900 (brand new), I had spent as much on the other decks as the Revox cost me. See what I'm sayin'? Avoid "upgrading" to the extent possible - you'll save money.

(On the other hand, I see parents buying Bach Strad trumpets for their kids. That's a bit over the top and misguided.)

:)

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Mics For Tape Recorder - Inmate51 07:56:32 08/26/15 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.