Home Tape Trail

Reel to reel, cassette and other analogue tape formats.

you'll know when it happens

Both of my A77 machines have gone up in smoke. Since the 'time bomb' or 'firecracker' caps are on the drive board, the first symptom of defective caps is that the tape drive stops. Then billows of smoke come out of the machine. The culprit is usually one particular cap on the motor board (see image). The case cracks and the cap smells. They are usually visually identifiable.

I have successfully replaced all of these caps on both A77 machines, and they work perfectly. So Inmate51's assumption that I don't know what I am doing is wrong. I was simply asking for help to locate the boards in question, as I have never worked on A700 electronics.

I have also completely disassembled the take-up reel mechanism on the A700 to replace what seemed to be a missing washer which was causing the reel table to ride up on its shaft.

And finally, I have entirely rebuilt a Hammond AO-29 amp which required a new transformer, new (substitute) electrolytics, etc.

That said, has no one here worked on an A700?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.