Home Tape Trail

Reel to reel, cassette and other analogue tape formats.

RE: Expected Price

Me personally, I, like everyone else would only pay as little as I had to. Who wouldn't love to. But I know that the volumes just aren't there that could lower the prices back to the twenties or thirties. A point I also addressed. So I'm trying to be realistic about it.

But your question is something of a loaded one, which I attempted to pre-emptively answer in my opening. A balance needs to be struck between making it worthwhile to ATR (or any other maker) while still keeping it within reach of most of us. The philosophical and political criteria of who does and does not get the sale does factor into this (as evidenced by hostility shown towards private sellers while also urging us to support those still in the business).

So to answer your question, without knowing the actuals-such as what it would cost to produce these, in sufficient quantity, while having a sufficient demand for them, I can't say for certain. I posited that an ATR Classic Tape as proposed would probably sell for somewhere in the $75-$100 ballpark. Steep, yes. Outrageous? Depends on who you ask. Also keep in mind that on an inflation adjusted basis, that is also almost in parity with what similar premium tapes cost back in the mid and late 70's-during the high water mark of the format-when there were several competing brands to choose from and a store that stocked it could be found in almost every city in America (another little tidbit often lost on many of todays minds).

ATR Master is already not far behind at about $65. Ditto for complete packaged LPR-35. Pancakes, I would think could be profitably sold for around $35-$40 apiece, give or take.

Edits: 05/09/15

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Expected Price - X-2000R 17:03:28 05/09/15 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.