Home Tape Trail

Reel to reel, cassette and other analogue tape formats.

Nakamichi 682ZX won't eat tapes!

I've been recording audiobooks on cassette into the computer. I was using the 682ZX for this. One particular tape just stopped playing about 3/4 of the way through. I tried 5 or 6 times to make it go, but no luck. I'm thinking "OK, been using this old girl pretty hard the last few days. Probably a belt giving up the ghost". So I stuck the tape in a Teac V-8030S which doesn't even have 100 hours on it since being re-furbished at the factory a few years ago. About 5 seconds later the tape stopped and I couldn't even get the cassette out of the machine because the deck had ate the tape. Now a light bulb goes off in my head: OK, the tape must have been dragging and the Nak was smart enough to shut down without damaging the tape in the slightest!

The cassette shells of audiobooks are the cheapest kind you can ever come across. All my other tapes are quality Type II or Type IV tapes with good shells. So I learned something that day about these two decks and I just though I'd pass it along. Cheers!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Topic - Nakamichi 682ZX won't eat tapes! - midimaniac 20:36:00 04/24/15 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.