Home Tape Trail

Reel to reel, cassette and other analogue tape formats.

RE: Buying & maintaining a vintage cassette deck--Nakamichi? BX-300? Or?

That makes sense. Do you have any experience with what those guys might charge to go thru an old casette deck like that & refurbish it? Too broad of a question perhaps, in the abstract?

The stored-for-15-years BX-300 I was going to bid on is described this way in the listing: "near mint, no scratches or dings, everything works, original carton, owner's manual and pamphlet". I also figured it was covered by the ebay policy that applies if a buyer receives an item that is "not as described" in the listing.

But I sent the seller an e-mail anyway, asking if he'd checked out all the functions. He replied:
"I have not checked every function, this unit was working 100% when boxed away more than 15 years ago. I will connect it today and verify that all functions are in proper working condition. I will give you an honest assessment, but cannot provide any guarantees and must sell this 'as-is'."

It sounds pretty contradictory. Like the seller is trying to have it both ways. Of course I guess I have to realize that a 30 y.o. tape deck may need repairs every so often. Heck, the slightly used TEAC RTR deck I bought in the late '70's needed repairs twice. That was over a 15 year period, but the 1st time was w/in a year after I bought it. (Fun lugging that monster to the shop!).

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.