Home Tape Trail

Reel to reel, cassette and other analogue tape formats.

RE: Tape Preamps...why?

At the studio where I assist, we've got a 1/4" R67 and a 1/2" A80 Mk-III, both half-track. (Yes I miss the 24-track 2" A800, and the great and different smells two-inch tapes give off.) Both machines get regular use and are meticulously maintained. For a recent transfer project we rented an Otari 5050 1/2" 8-track, and were pretty surprised at how good it sounded. It was certainly in the ballpark, and surprisingly quiet for that format.

Yes, if I could I'd swap my MX5050B2-II for any 1/4" Studer. But the audio performance of the Otaris can be pretty good, even though the transports aren't as gentle.

My own experience with Revox-branded decks is not so good. Had two A77's, one a Mk-3 and the other a half-track Mk-4. Never got either one sounding like they should, thought I didn't know how to do a full alignment then so that could be the issue. A definite dud was a Studer B710 Mk-II cassette deck. So pretty, so beautifully made, but the Nak Dragon ate it for lunch.

WW

"Put on your high heeled sneakers. Baby, we''re goin'' out tonight.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.