Home Tape Trail

Reel to reel, cassette and other analogue tape formats.

Let's see your R2R machines....

I'm just curious how many of which type of machines inmates have on hand.

Here's my current go-to machine:

It is an Otari MX5050 BII - 2. I was fortunate to find this from the original owner in the condition pictured. The PO was a musician with his own modest recording studio. He said he used the Otari for his mix-down masters. While at his studio to buy this unit I spotted an Ampex 1/2 inch tape 8-track machine that he was using for his live recording.

I also have another MX5050 BII-2, but in rougher condition. And there is a Revox A77 in nice cosmetic condition but will need some refurbishment to get back up to spec.

I use mine to play back commercial 4-track and 2-track tapes. Mostly of classical recordings. All of them at 7-1/2 ips. For a time I was lucky and found a dozen or so commercial tapes at a local hpb for $1.99 each. When I saw those I purchased every title in the store. Since then that store has not offered any more R2R tapes.

edits: added photos of my A77 below:

The Revox I purchased of ebay circa 2009 for not much money. Seller described it as function and good except for the left vu meter which is "kaput", he said. I can't debate that. This is likely a good fixer-upper. I'll just have to get around to it when just the right stars align.

What do you have and what is your story.

-Steve

Edits: 10/16/14

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Topic - Let's see your R2R machines.... - user510 13:18:00 09/03/14 (29)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.