Home Tape Trail

Reel to reel, cassette and other analogue tape formats.

Tascam 44 Capstan and Pinch Roller

A friend gave me - yes, GAVE me - a Tascam 44-4 reel-to-reel deck. His recording setup has been all digital for years, so he said "if you want it, it's yours". Wow, thanks!

So I loaded a reel, powered it up, and no worky. Transport works (controls, reel motors), meters light up, etc., but the capstan doesn't turn, and the pinch roller doesn't engage. I can turn the capstan by hand, so I know it's not frozen, but the pinch roller won't move into position (it does spin, by hand). He hadn't used it in years, so it wouldn't surprise me if something had deteriorated from lack of use.

I could take the back off, but then what would I do? LOL My deck repair skills are limited to adjusting the brake bands on an A77, and I have NO electronics repair skills.

So I'm wondering if anyone has a clue. If it's a $50-$400 repair, I'd go for it, but if it gets to be much more than that, fuggetaboutit. I do have the basic Teac Tascam Series 40-4 Owner Reference Manual. Also, I would need a good Teac/Tascam tech in TX/OK, preferably in the north Texas/Dallas area. This puppy weighs 75 pounds, so I'm not shipping it. R-R tape deck repair seems to have become a scarce resource. When I wanted to have my A77 brought up to snuff about ten years ago, I had to send it to Nashville!

Insights?

Thanks!

:)

Edits: 08/17/14 08/17/14

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Topic - Tascam 44 Capstan and Pinch Roller - Inmate51 12:30:27 08/17/14 (2)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.