Home Tape Trail

Reel to reel, cassette and other analogue tape formats.

RE: I think these are exactly what she says they are.

I have not bought any of the safety copies from Reel Lady or from other sellers that seem to everywhere on eBay these days as I also have not seen enough credibility in the statements that the tapes are legitimate. From my own experience with master tapes or their copies I'm suspect of any that do not have documentation on the tape boxes themselves.
The tapes may have been bought as pancakes. Their metal reels or flanges may have been added later to add legitimacy. I can't remember the specific title (Boston S/T?) of a 7.5 IPS reel that Reel Lady claims was from a record company executive, but it was on the Columbia or Epic labels where the commercial issued tape should have been at 3.75 IPS. It appeared odd that it was a 4 track tape so it may have been made for compatibility instead of for sound quality so I did not bid.
I have bought a legitimate production reel from a seller in South America and am satisfied with it's audio quality. I have met one person who bought (at least one) safety copy from someone in Florida who felt it was legit and was satisfied with the sound quality.
If these tapes had conclusive proof as being real (pun intended) I'm certain that they will sell for a lot more. The first lot of master tapes (20-30) from the jazz label Concord looked to be legitimate and they were all bought by one buyer who had something like 15,000 as their eBay feedback. From what I could tell all the feedback came as a buyer.
I am not aware of Reel Lady's ability to test the raw tapes to determine which brand could be. It would require a lot of experience and test equipment.
I have bought many tapes both two track and four track from Reel Lady since she began selling on eBay and have always left positive feedback.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers   [ K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers Forum ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: I think these are exactly what she says they are. - defdum&blind 22:49:01 08/12/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.