Home Tape Trail

Reel to reel, cassette and other analogue tape formats.

RE: I see no reason why a safety master need be made at the same time as the original.

Several on this post have made some valid points. And the comment on lineage, woulde be impossible to track down or detail out, since it also applies to sometimes many in the industry. When a studio gets a prodiuction dub, the assumption is made its as close as possible to the session parts. Sometimes this is the case, other times its just a copy of a copy of a copy that gets sent.

"and for most of us, the actual lineage of these tapes will probably never be known"

I spent a number of years at studios in the Hollywood area, and have orig session masters, production masters, production dups, and safetly masters. Some at 15 and some at 30. The sound quality does vary widely, but regardless, any of these versions are better than any commercially released format the public would normally have access to.

So while the "safety masters" sold on ebay may not be one or two generations removed from the production master (they are likely further removed from the session master), they are still much better sonics than any other format available to the individual interested in the best possible sound through analog tape.

best

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.