Home Tape Trail

Reel to reel, cassette and other analogue tape formats.

RE: I think these are exactly what she says they are.

I'd like to think you're right. But there are some issues. First, several of them are described as Emtec 468 mastering tape, even though Emtec didn't make tape back then (since Emtec didn't exist) AND the reels and boxes are a variety of styles and brands AND 468 tape (whether BASF, Agfa, or Emtec) didn't exist when Fritz Reiner conducted the CSO. Also, there are two tapes (Decca - Rite of Spring, and RCA - Also Sprach Zarathustra), both with Scotch/3M boxes and reels, which both have a nice flat pack but both have a discontinuity at about 1.5 inches from the hub. I find this odd - two tapes from different record companies, identical reels, and identical discontinuities. Further, the labelling sucks, which a top pro recording engineer wouldn't do.

All of these factors would indicate that these are not original safety masters.

So, as I said in my earlier post, it's likely that these are copies from "somewhere". To give Reel-Lady the benefit of the doubt, she may not know the history of these tapes. Still, it's her site claiming they're on Emtec 468.

:)

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.