Home Tape Trail

Reel to reel, cassette and other analogue tape formats.

RE: Dolby 422 Unit- How to Set Up?

I'm not that familiar with the 442 but I do know the 330/361 units pretty well.
The Dolby Labs Dolby units are built for studios, duplication or broadcast facilities. They aren't exactly plug and play for home use.
Dolby decoding depends on accurate level input ( +/- 1.5dB). The output level of any particular tape needs to be adjusted before it hits the decoding circuitry. This level can vary from tape to tape or even side to side (if 1/4 track).

They do work with tapes which have a Dolby calibration tone recorded on them but a calibration tape would get you in the ballpark and then you could do adjustments by ear.
Depending on what the 442 in question was used for, it could be set to a "normal" input level already but of course, this could have been bumped or adjusted to check that the unit was working.

Regarding the LPF, all the units I know have this feature. My guess is it has something to do with high speed duplication which these units were often used for.
The units I'm familiar with don't have any sort of bypass switch for this and you have to chase down the location with the schematic and jump it on the circuit board.

Depending on the tapes you plan to listen to, there may be NO info above 16k. Remember, if the tapes you have are Dolby encoded, they almost certainly were encoded by a Dolby Labs unit. And, if all of these units have the LPF, everything above 16K has already been chopped off.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.