Home Tape Trail

Reel to reel, cassette and other analogue tape formats.

Roberts 997 at Oakland Goodwill

Hi, Folks!

Just a quick note to let you know that the other day, I walked into a Goodwill Store here in Emeryville/Oakland and right on the shelf was this absolutely pristine vintage Roberts model 997 (I think this was the model) open reel recorder. This model was equipped with its own amplifier and built-in speakers. It was marked $49.50. These days, I tend to leave such things well enough alone because of the limited market, but what truly amazed me was the heft of this piece, the apparent quality and the amazing feature that it could record and play at three speeds: 3.75, 7.5 and 15 ips! With a fixed reel capacity of only 7", I cannot imagine the practicality of recording anything except a commercial at that high a speed, but the next day, it was gone. You can probably now find it on Craigslist for $300. It as missing its power cord, though and as with some old Japanese tape recorders of the tube era, watch out for exploding capacitors, even when bringing it up with a Variac. Caveat Emptor!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Topic - Roberts 997 at Oakland Goodwill - Marantzguy 12:42:13 10/14/13 (3)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.