Home Tape Trail

Reel to reel, cassette and other analogue tape formats.

Analog, Cassette, R-R, and Co-mingling of Such

LOL!

You guys are cracking me up with your jib-jabs at each other. :)

But, seriously, really...

An Aiwa, Akai, Denon, Fujimoto, Nakyourmichi, Sony, Teac, Tandberg, Whatevervox cassette deck all fail due to the technical constraints of the format - tiny track width, slow tape speed and extremely thin tape. There's no getting around it. Now, if you've got a cassette machine which runs at, say, 7-1/2 ips, and uses the "full" tape width to store only two tracks instead of four, then, by golly, you'd have a more convenient format than the typical consumer reel-to-reel machine (4-track, 7-1/2 ips on 1/4 inch tape), with similar fidelity.

Don't misunderstand - I have many cassettes, primarily Maxell and TDK type II/high bias (CrO2, not metal), which I enjoy on my Harman/Kardon TD202, and they sound quite good. But really, it's not even close to 15 ips 2-track, or even 7-1/2 ips 4-track (which is quadruple the tape speed and double the track width of cassette).

Regarding your reel-to-reel copies sounding better than the cassettes they were made from... It's clearly possible that they sound different (in fact, it's likely), but "better" is in the ear of the beholder. As the old saying goes, you can't make a silk purse from a pig's ear. Which, in this case, simply means that you can't intentionally & predictably improve upon the sound of the original simply by copying it to a different format. The sonic quality of the new format copy, with its somewhat different tonal balance, may or may not be judged to be "better", simply because it's different. Some people may judge the copy to be more to their liking, and others may judge it to be less to their liking. But there is no escaping the fact that tape hiss and various distortions cannot be removed or reduced simply by making a copy, without incurring a commensurate change in the desired audio signal.

:)

Edits: 09/11/13 09/11/13

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.