Home Tape Trail

Reel to reel, cassette and other analogue tape formats.

RE: Vintage Studio Mixdown Decks

IMHO, the record amplifier in the 300 is the best recording amplifier because it uses very linear triode tubes (6J5). But trying to find two washing machine sized recording amps is a challenge. The playback amp in the 300 leaves much to be desired however. The 351 is the best tube compromise but it's mic preamps are not that good. Solid state wise I wouldn't touch a AG350 with a 12 foot mic boom as it is germanium solid state and getting replacement parts is hard. The same is true of the Scully 280. The recording amplifier is germanium. The playback amp is silicon. The Scully 280B is all silicon and is well designed with modern parts and is all discreet. The AG440C is a nice deck provided it's discreet electronics are purged of tantalum capacitors. Your list does not include the best analog deck which is an Ampex ATR 102. The 3M (latest model m76 I think) tape transport is wonderful as long as you can get those two odd duck ridged pressure rollers and as long as you use a more up to date playback and record amplifier like a Innovonics. The 3M record/play electronics however is abysimal with many op-amps and FET switches in the signal path. Good luck, Ray

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Vintage Studio Mixdown Decks - grhughes 12:01:22 07/08/13 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.