Home Tape Trail

Reel to reel, cassette and other analogue tape formats.

still in fairly regular (seasonal) use at my house (imagine that)

Luddite that I am...

I've even done some live recording with VHS HiFi VCR to pretty good effect. It pays to use good tape (which is ever harder to find - I tend to pick 'em up when I find 'em at my favorite local emporium).

My major application for VHS HiFi audio is... Christmas music! I am a big fan of holiday music of all types (schmaltzy to serious; chant to pop) and I've dubbed almost all of our (embarassingly) substantial collection onto VHS HiFi audio - 6 hours at low speed with very good sound quality.

Here's a photo of just such a dubbing session a few years back :-)
The Zenith VCR in the picture was purchased new at the Stereo Discounters' annual "HiFi Show and Sale" at Timonium Fairgrounds (MD) way back in - if memory serves - 1986. It was purpose built (and even labled) as a HiFi Video and Audio recorder; featuring peak-hold level meters and input audio level control (i.e., the ALC could be defeated for "serious" audio recording) and separate "VIDEO" and "AUDIO" record modes (the latter suppressed the video track).

It has served us incredibly well over a long, long time.

photo holidaydubbing121209.jpg

This particular deck is sort of interesting in that the tape rides side-saddle...
all the best,
mrh

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • still in fairly regular (seasonal) use at my house (imagine that) - mhardy6647 06:25:45 05/29/13 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.